Practical ideas for making your home look bigger and brighter to potential buyers
- Lighting. Open window blinds or draperies. Put higher wattage bulbs in lamps. Place fluorescent lights behind valances, under cabinets, over work places. When showing, turn on floor lamps and consider wall-mounted lamps too.
- Color. Keep to one, two or (at the most) three light colors that blend and flow from one room to another.
- Carpeting. Use one carpet color throughout the house.
- Mirrors. Double the size of a room and bring the outdoor window view inside with mirror walls. Mirror the lighting under kitchen cabinets.
- Built-ins. Wherever you can tuck a cabinet, shelf, or small table, you make awkward spots usable.
- Furnishings. Choose small-scale furniture with simple lines and place it against the walls, leaving plenty of open space.
Please e-mail us with specific questions on how to keep your home in showcase condition.